MeetUps | Organisations | Links | How you can help | Exit models
What reforms could be made short of leaving the EU?
The following measures, which would make the EU more law-bound and democratic and responsive to public opinion, could be adopted unilaterally by member states. These things could be done as well as, or instead of, leaving the EU.
- all EU Court decisions that violate the treaties to be declarable as invalid by national courts, analogous to the UK courts' ability to make a “declaration of incompatibility” between national statutes and the ECHR
- any new powers arrogated to the EU by the EU Court to be subject to national referendums
- a new criminal offence committed when any national minister overrides his/her parliament’s scrutiny reserve in the Council of Ministers
- an EU-wide ban on compulsory identity cards and other state surveillance measures incompatible with democracy
- mandatory referendum on new member states
- national parliament vetos on all directives
- EU membership to be subject to referendum every 10 years
- parliamentarians could pledge to obstruct the implementation of EU directives which had been opposed by a sufficiently large petition by voters
Follow mk270 Follow get_eu Edit this page